Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Gethsmane

This was late Thursday night, around 11:30pm -1am...

Jesus led  his disciples away from the Upper Room and toward the Garden of Gethsemane,  He knew he was facing this.

Jesus went to go pray:
36Then Jesus went with his disciples to a place called Gethsemane, and he said to them, “Sit here while I go over there and pray.”
Gethsemane  was a garden that was owned by someone, who was rich. It was very large, near or inside Jeruselum. The garden had a large wall around it and was full of olive trees, it was a favorite spot  for Jesus and often went there to pray. ...
37He took Peter and the two sons of Zebedee along with him, and he began to be sorrowful and troubled. 38Then he said to them, “My soul is overwhelmed with sorrow to the point of death. Stay here and keep watch with me.”

So Jesus took Peter James and John wth Him farther into the garden, leaving the others at the entrance, ... then thats when Jesus essentially fell apart, he was greattly sorrowful. and distressed...
During this time Christ  basically went into shock.. he saw or felt something so awful that His skin began to craw and His hair stood on end....

39Going a little farther, he fell with his face to the ground and prayed, “My Father, if it is possible, may this cup be taken from me. Yet not as I will, but as you will.”
Christ went deeper into the Garden by himslef...  with a shawl on his head..  Jesus literally fell on His face in great pain and suffering before the Father.

During this time He was making the final decision about dying on the Cross... he wasnt just a puppet for God, Jesus made the decision to follow God, and die on the Cross.
WHo knows the amount of questions and struggles that he had here....
think about it.... some questions that may have ran through his head "is humankind worth suffering for?" " Could I do it? ....

40Then he returned to his disciples and found them sleeping. “Could you men not keep watch with me for one hour?” he asked Peter. 41“Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation. The spirit is willing, but the body is weak.”

42He went away a second time and prayed, “My Father, if it is not possible for this cup to be taken away unless I drink it, may your will be done.”
43When he came back, he again found them sleeping, because their eyes were heavy. 44So he left them and went away once more and prayed the third time, saying the same thing.

45Then he returned to the disciples and said to them, “Are you still sleeping and resting? Look, the hour is near, and the Son of Man is betrayed into the hands of sinners. 46Rise, let us go! Here comes my betrayer!”

Luke 22:42-44 :42Father, if you are willing, take this cup from me; yet not my will, but yours be done.” 43 An angel from heaven appeared to him and strengthened him. 44 And being in anguish, he prayed more earnestly, and his sweat was like drops of blood falling to the ground.[

Jesus was in great agony...
an angel appeard to him and strengthened him.. Jesus needed it, since Luke tells us that he was in extreme stress, so much stress that he was sweating blood...
 So at this point Jesus went back into the garden a second time, now sweating bloody drops all over the rocks.
He was expiencing a medical condition  "hematidrosis"... its not just a small trickle of blood coming from his forehead, from all pores all over His body... what caused it?  it can happen when stress upon stress is laid over a persons emotions. if the person pushes hard enough either he'll pass out or blood will pass through his veins until it hits the sweat glands....
Friday morning 1:am -1:30am...
Judas had been busy - he'd gone to Caiphas, the high priest, and told him that they'd have the opopportunity to go with the plan that very night...  so they gathered people to arrest Jesus - Judas led them all to the garden.
Matthew 26:47-56
Jesus Arrested
47 While he was still speaking, Judas, one of the Twelve, arrived. With him was a large crowd armed with swords and clubs, sent from the chief priests and the elders of the people. 48 Now the betrayer had arranged a signal with them: “The one I kiss is the man; arrest him.” 49 Going at once to Jesus, Judas said, “Greetings, Rabbi!” and kissed him.
50 Jesus replied, “Do what you came for, friend.”[a]
Then the men stepped forward, seized Jesus and arrested him. 51 With that, one of Jesus’ companions reached for his sword, drew it out and struck the servant of the high priest, cutting off his ear.
52 “Put your sword back in its place,” Jesus said to him, “for all who draw the sword will die by the sword. 53 Do you think I cannot call on my Father, and he will at once put at my disposal more than twelve legions of angels? 54 But how then would the Scriptures be fulfilled that say it must happen in this way?”
55 In that hour Jesus said to the crowd, “Am I leading a rebellion, that you have come out with swords and clubs to capture me? Every day I sat in the temple courts teaching, and you did not arrest me. 56 But this has all taken place that the writings of the prophets might be fulfilled.” Then all the disciples deserted him and fled.

Dawson Macclister says in his book - that we would have been completely in awe at the large crowd that was making their way towards Jesus, some scholars believe that there was somewhere between 600-1000 men that came swarming... most of them were Roman soldiers.
So Judas was going to be pointing out the one that they were to arrest by giving him a kis...

So Judas walked up to Jesus,  Jesus basically said "why are you here?"
Judas said.. "Im just coming to say 'hello' "
Then he kissed Jesus on both cheeks... oriental syle.
Then Jesus said "Judas, how can you do this - Betray the Son of Man with a kiss??
Jesus then stepped away from Judas and approached the crowd, He knew what was going on....

John 18:4-6

New Living Translation (NLT)
4 Jesus fully realized all that was going to happen to him, so he stepped forward to meet them. “Who are you looking for?” he asked.
5 “Jesus the Nazarene,”[a] they replied.
“I Am he,”[b] Jesus said. (Judas, who betrayed him, was standing with them.) 6 As Jesus said “I Am he,” they all drew back and fell to the ground!
Imagine that... he said 2 words "I AM" and boom... all they fell down!
During that time the phrase "I AM " meant one thing--- "I AM GOD!" As we take a look baack, thousands of years earlier, God met Moses in the desert, ordered him back to Egypt and lead the children of Israel to freedom, Moses was reluctant, and afraid, and said to God, "they're not going to believe me... who should I tell them that sent me ?" God told him, "you tell them atht I AM WHO I AM  sent you (Exodus 3:13-15)
Then from that time forward that fphrase or name meant only one thing to the Jews-- it meant "I AM GOD"
So, when Jesus said the words "I AM" in the garden that night, the crows was supernaturally  thrown to the ground.
Matthew 26
50 Jesus said, “My friend, go ahead and do what you have come for.”
Then the others grabbed Jesus and arrested him. 51 But one of the men with Jesus pulled out his sword and struck the high priest’s slave, slashing off his ear.

So here we go - now the disciples get in on this, and one of them asked Jesus "should we get out our swords? but before Jesus  could reply, Peter decided to take matters in his own hands and make things happen... Even though he was surrounded by hundrdes of armed soldiers, he takes out his long knif e and begins to fight... he slahses at the head of a servant of the high pries, Malchus, even though Malchus ducks, Peter cuts  off his ear..
Jesus basically said "it stops here" (Luke 22:51)
This prevents the crowd from pouncing on him and killing him right ther on the spot.
Jesus then take Machus's ear and reattaches it.

Matthew 26:
52 “Put away your sword,” Jesus told him. “Those who use the sword will die by the sword. 53 Don’t you realize that I could ask my Father for thousands[h] of angels to protect us, and he would send them instantly? 54 But if I did, how would the Scriptures be fulfilled that describe what must happen now?”

He was telling Peter "thanks, but no thanks, I've got it all under control..."

55 Then Jesus said to the crowd, “Am I some dangerous revolutionary, that you come with swords and clubs to arrest me? Why didn’t you arrest me in the Temple? I was there teaching every day. 56 But this is all happening to fulfill the words of the prophets as recorded in the Scriptures.” At that point, all the disciples deserted him and fled.

He was saying "what are you doing here at night, as though I'm  going to run or be secretive, I was with you every day in the timple, why didnt you arrest me then?

He had committed no crime whatsoever,
but Jesus said "But this has all happened to fulfill the Scriptures of the prophets. This is your hour and the power of darkness"

Jesus remained in control throughout everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment