Tuesday, May 8, 2012

"It is Finished"

We have made it to the final hours.
Thank you for joining me on this journey through the last hours of Christ's Life.
If you have not been following, please know that I have been writing about the last hours of Christ's life. feel free to go back in the older posts to read about all that has happened so far.
I have  been going through a book written by Dawson McCallister "A Walk with Christ to the Cross." I highly recommend it.

Friday 3-6pm
Even at the most painful time - Jesus was still  caring for others. 
From the slits of his beat up eyes, He sees His mother, Mary, standing before Him.

Then all of a sudden everything changes.

Although its mid day - late in the afternoon... remember its about 3-6pm that evening. and then all of a sudden darkness envelopes the city - Pitch black!Perhaps it was Gods way of saying that his Son was about to go through some terrible darkness.

Matthew 27:

45 From noon until three in the afternoon darkness came over all the land. 46 About three in the afternoon Jesus cried out in a loud voice, “Eli, Eli,[c] lema sabachthani?” (which means “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?”).[d]
47 When some of those standing there heard this, they said, “He’s calling Elijah.”
48 Immediately one of them ran and got a sponge. He filled it with wine vinegar, put it on a staff, and offered it to Jesus to drink. 49 The rest said, “Now leave him alone. Let’s see if Elijah comes to save him.”
50 And when Jesus had cried out again in a loud voice, he gave up his spirit


The crowd misunderstood Jesus call. They thought He was calling out to Elijah to help Him. 
A Jewish tradition taught that Elijah would come before the Messiah and introduce the Messiah to the poeple - The crowd at the cross thought that this was a joke that Jesus would be calling out to Elijah at this time.

John 19:29 A jar of wine vinegar was there, so they soaked a sponge in it, put the sponge on a stalk of the hyssop plant, and lifted it to Jesus’ lips. 30 When he had received the drink, Jesus said, “It is finished.” With that, he bowed his head and gave up his spirit.

Jesus turned to the soldiers and said "I'm thirsty" Then He was offered a sponge filled with sour wine, just enough to loosen His dry and swollen tongue.
Then in victory He yelled out "IT.... IS..... FINISHED"
In the original language, its actually just one word "Tetelestoi." it was said in the context of "it's paid in full" or "Perfect completion." 

Jesus had completed the work that God had sent Him to do. and Jesus surrendered His spirit and died.
This is the conclusion to my series on Christs walk to the Cross. The story continues on with Him rising from the day a few days later.
Perhaps in the future I will write on the ressurrection, but I feel that up to this point is where we need to leave off for now. 
I dont know where you are in your faith. but I do hope that this has helped you in some way. I know that for me, I have had a different perspective of Jesus over the past month or so especially when I sing, or hear when someone says about "Jesus dying for us." puts it in a different perspective of how much pain and suffering He really went through during this time.


No comments:

Post a Comment