Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Welcome to the fishbowl

I was listening to the radio yesterday, when the dj said the title of the new Kenny Chesney album... entitled "Welcome to the Fishbowl".... the dj explained that the reason why he titled that was because these days, with technology we are all visible- everyone can watch what we're doing--- (basically)
this sparked an idea/thought... its so true.

Growing up we always had some kind of animal around--- Dogs, cats, bird, rats (yes... trust me they were my brother's.) Hampster, turtle, ducks, hermit crabs, fish....
focusing on the caged animals, bird, rats, hampster, turtle. hermit crabs, fish... they all were exposed... that was their home. the cage /tank... we could peek in at any moment and see what they were up to. they  were exposed... we can look in - see them.
very much like people today... "oh whats up with so-and-so?"--- well let me check her facebook, and see what she's been up to... not enough info on her facebook page?- I'll message her to see what shes been up to, and how she's doing....

With technology the way it is today - everyone knows our business... that is-- depending on what we CHOOSE to put out there... 
Facebook, twitter, google +, Pinterest, myspace (is that still around?), Blogging, LinkedIn, flickr, photobucket,shutterfly... dont forget about the dating websites... eHarmony,ChristianSingles,Match.com....

How much do we put out there for people to see.... and why do we do that? and how can we use social media to be more effective-
Instead of using it for us... why not use it for God????

I'd be the first to admit that I spend alot of time online---

Pinterest. Facebook.Google+... (and currently Theknot.com, weddingwire.... )

People keep up with others--
there are people that I know as aquatinces.. went to school with or something- and I know more about them... I know where they work, where they have worked, I know their relationship status, I know their favorite tv shows, movies, I see pictures of them of what they do on the weekends, I see the videos that they post, I see the language that they use, I know their political stance, I know their beliefs. I know what they ate for breakfast this morning. I know where they will be this weekend. I know where they are now. I know who they went to dinner with last night and where.... and that place seems to be a favorite of theirs. I know where the pictures were taken, I know their work schedule.I know where they like to shop, I know when they come home... \ thats just from Facebook... what about Twitter... can see their thoughts, complaints, and everything that they say... then google + i can see what they say, pictures, who they "hangout" with on video chat, can see everything. - what about Pintrest? I can see foods tthey like, quotes they like, houses they like, what they want their house to look like, fashion that they like, how they want to raise their kids, their dream wedding...... then of course for the dating sites-- their personal information...  Scary, Huh?

Am I able to see them talk about God? - some people, yes... others-- I see them more complaining, updating their status about watching "true blood" or "the amazing race" or the ballgame...

Some people it is hard to tell what exactly they believe in-- are they really followers of Christ???

Anyways-- what are you portraying on your facebook?

can people see that you are truly a follower of Christ?

its not about putting that mask on either-  of how we are viewed by others--- but its a matter of actually living it out... living out what God is doing inside us.

I dont know if that makes sense... but I just feel like so often, we want others to see how well we are doing-- the things we are purchasing, the shows we are watching, and just that worldly things, instead of what God is truly doing in our lives-- and living it for God, instead of living for our 'friends' to see....
- and while we are at it, Giving all the Glory to Him, and sharing His love with others...

anyways- something to think about. :) not only about God - but also our safety. Sometimes people know just too much about us. (especially if you dont "private" your profile... there are creeps out there... sometimes it is best not to let your 'friends' know everything you are doing, you never know who is out there watching...)




No comments:

Post a Comment